Wednesday 8 March 2017

Ahalya - A Myth revisited

                                       

Characters: 
Ahalya
Rishi Gautama, Ahalya's husband
Indra, Deity- King of Swarg
Narad
Lord Rama, 
Lord laxman
Three ladies, Ahalya's friends


Act: 1
Scene: i
[Early morning, near river Godavari]
First lady: Ahalya….. Where are you? (Coming behind the tree, basket is swinging in her hand.)
Second lady: Ahalya…..Ahalya….. (Shouting loudly) Can you hear us? (Roaming here and there)
Third Lady:  Have you seen her? She is not there.  (Coming to the other two)
Second lady: (departing to different direction) ….Aha….lya……..?
First lady: Hey, come here… (Slow voice coming from a far)… I found her…
Third lady: (going to the voice direction, stands behind the tree with other two) oh, she is here!  (With gasping) …And we are searching her all around the world…
(Ladies watch Ahalya, sitting on her knees, serving a heifer, her basket, lying aside with fallen flowers.)
Second lady: so pure! So white! So innocent! So kind! I cannot blink my eyes! Is it full moon on sunny day?!
First lady: (Suddenly looking to the second lady) whom you are talking about? Heifer or …Ah…
Second lady: Er…. Both…
Third lady: Of course… (Walking towards Ahalya, speaking loudly) Ahalya, what are you doing? We tired finding you… where have you been?
Ahalya: Calm down dear ladies, look at this… (Pointing to the right feet of the heifer) her feet… she cannot walk properly.
First lady: Oh! She is injured badly!
Ahalya: I have bandaged the wound. She will be fine soon. 
Third Lady: (Coming near them) Aha… you did it well, let’s move. We will be late.
(Preparing to leave)
Ahalya: (To, little heifer, with foundling her) you will be alright dear… don’t worry... (Takes her basket)
Third lady: Be quick… Ahalya
(They start walking)
First lady: That little animal is so beautiful…. But injured!!
Third lady: That poor thing will be ok, Ahalya has done well… (To the second lady, who is unaware of their talking) why you are so silent? What are you thinking?
Second lady: Er… no… nothing….. Ahalya, can I ask you something?
Ahalya: (With plucking white lily) of course
Second lady: You are looking so beautiful…
Ahalya: (Smiling) Thanks… (Plucking red rose)
Second lady: Well, you are so young and beautiful and Rishi Gautama is a sage, so old, busy in his meditations. (Walks without looking back)
Ahalya: (Her hand stops) what you want to say?
Second lady: (Hesitates) I …I mean…. Have you not ever felt that you deserve better husband? Handsome, young…
Ahalya: (Feeling uneasy) what make you think so? (Still calm, in a low voice) He is my husband, my lord, God for me, as your husband for you. If any feeling of dissatisfaction, despondency arises, it’s his insult…
First lady: But, Rishi Gautama always remains busy in his ascetic life… the old sage…
Ahalya: And we should not judge person with his age and body, but knowledge and virtue. (Smiling)
First lady: Do you really think what you said? (Pause) Perhaps you are right, but we must appreciate your devotion and services to him…
Ahalya: (Seriously) Oh… please… Don’t make me think that way, it’s not my duty, I consider it… happiness I always feel…  (Looking aside, her lips stretch) And we reach… hey… come fast…
[View of the river Godavari can be seen. Calm and cold water welcomes the ladies. They put aside their Baskets and their legs become wet. Their laughter echoes everywhere.]
Third lady: (Seriously) hey, slow your voice…shhh
First lady: what happened?
First lady: (Looking sharply in the water) shh… I saw something there… (Pointing to opposite direction)
Third lady: (Cries) come outside…it’s ….oh my God… It’s crocodile!!!
(Ladies start running outside with a yell)
Second lady: Oh, look there… (Standing far from the water, pointing right) look that poor animal!
Third lady: isn’t it the same? The same injured little animal!!
(In water, the crocodile is rushing towards heifer, which cannot run fast from it. Ladies gaze the scene with a pale eyes and fearful faces.)
First lady: We should do something. (Their legs are frozen they don’t move.)
Second lady: (turns her eyes from the scene) Ahalya… where are you going?
(Everyone turns their eyes to Ahalya… who is snatching a hunter’s arrow from the tree)
Third lady: Stop Ahalya…where are you going?  It’s crocodile… (They watch Ahalya, going near the sight where heifer is still struggling to free its foot from its mouth. Ahalya, standing some foots away from the water, with a great strength throws an arrow which hits crocodile’s tail. The tail sticks with sand and it can’t move. )
First lady: (With happiness) yes, wow, you did it…. (Ahalya comes back to them) Wow… that’s very good. But you missed the stroke.
Ahalya: no, I don’t. I don’t want to kill it. I want to save that injured heifer. (All watch the scene) Look, it cannot move and its attention is diverted from its prey to tail. And that little animal can save herself.
Second lady: oh yes, she is running, you have saved her Ahalya… wow, it’s great…
Ahalya: (Smiling) thanks… look her now… How one feels after facing death! (Smile vanishes)
Third Lady: Ohh… We are late enough; we should leave for home fast… (Still gossiping on a way to home.) How big it was! I saw it. I couldn’t move. But I am impressed with you Ahalya.
Second lady: I am feeling very sad for you Ahalya…
Third Lady: (Disappointed) why? Why are you telling this?
Second lady: I heard many people telling ‘Ahalya is very beautiful, she is so young and pretty…..’ But what about her other virtues? I never heard anyone talking on her kindness, how courageous she is or about her modesty, services… they never discuss!!
First lady: You are right…. Perhaps, her beauty has covered all other virtues.
Ahalya: Perhaps… they don’t know! Perhaps, I am not what you are saying…
Second lady:  Oh don’t be silly everyone knows well.  Ahalya, Didn’t you said that, ‘we should not judge a person with his age and body, but knowledge and virtue’, then why they don’t judge you with your virtue… and only beauty??!  (Silence)
Ahalya: (Pause) I don’t know…perhaps… It is different for man and woman?!! (Pause) Ok… Ok now don’t feel sad, you can start first… don’t you? …
(All ladies disappear far on a way but their laughter echoes.)

Scene: ii
(Late evening time, Small hut with a door and window near verandah is visible. Dim light is coming through the window. At the corner of the room, Rishi Gautama is doing meditation. Ahalya enters, goes near him, silence is broken with her words.)
Ahalya: It’s dark now my lord… (Rishi Gautama opens his eyes) It becomes colder this evening; your legs will start aching… Do you have any idea of surroundings!
Rishi Gautama: (Smiles) why should I worry about surrounding, if you are always here to take care of me??!
Ahalya: (Turns red with shyness) here is hot water for you. You can relax yourself if your meditation is over.  (She passes bucket near Rishi Gautama and sits near him) Are you not tired?!
Rishi Gautama: Yes… But I always forget my tiredness when I see your smiling face. (Rishi Gautama puts his legs into the bucket of hot water.) Do you know Ahalya? What gives me strength to work hard, to do difficult meditations??
Ahalya: (Pause)… perhaps, your meditations, your spiritual inspirations show you the right path!
Rishi Gautama: Yaa… But it’s not all, It’s my feeling… feeling of proud which moves me up & encourages me. I feel proud for two things in my life… can you guess?? (Gazes Ahalya)
Ahalya:  oh… Which are they??
Rishi Gautama: first is my power of ascetic life which I gained with meditations, and second… second is you… Ahalya… Both I have achieved with hard work… I won both… and that’s why I feel so proud for these.
Ahalya: your ascetic life is very precious, don’t compare me with it. By the way, (smiles) I started feeling so proud to hear this.
Rishi Gautama: (Smiles) so… don’t want to move for today’s dinner!
Ahalya: Oh…Yaah… (Stands up, prepares to leave) I am waiting for you… dinner is almost ready. (She leaves him alone… Silence falls again)

Scene iii
[Midnight, Ahalya is sleeping alone on a bed. Darkness has covered the room and the sky. Suddenly she wakes, sees around and exclaims as she can’t find Rishi Gautama near her.]
Ahalya: (Looks around) where are you my lord? (Searches) My lord!! (She opens a door of the room where Rishi Gautama, in a candle light, writing something. She goes near but he has not noticed. ) It’s too early… to wake…or… didn’t you slept?!
Rishi Gautama: (Looks up once and again carries on writing) I can’t wait for the dawn Ahalya...its inspiration… you know…
(The candle is near to end. Ahalya replaces it. She gazes him as if she wants to say something.)
Ahalya: I… Er… I… (Silence… she leaves him without disturbance. Comes out at verandah, looking at the sky, thinking… speaking silently…) sometimes darkness is also beautiful. The moonlight will disappear soon; these shining stars will be covered by sun light. How amazing it is to see this night without waiting for a dawn.  This beauty is vanished after a moment. Still it’s beautiful the way the sight vanishes… (Continues watching, after a moment, goes inside and comes back with something in her hand.) I can’t sleep now. Let me try to beautify this night… (She sits and starts making Rangoli near verandah.)
[From outside the hut, the sight of Ahalya doing Rangoli at the entrance and through the window Rishi Gautama is visible… And Dawn in the sky…]


Act: 2

(Indra’s palace, Indra and Narad come out walking and gossiping in a light mood.)
Indra: So, you have seen Apsaras’ dance. Now what will you say? How is it?
Naradji: (smiles)...Amazing, beautiful obviously, but… still…
Indra: But! Still? Why these words? Everyone I have asked said they have no words to appreciate it. And you…! What you want to say?
Narad: they are true no doubt but… but it seems something is missing.
Indra: (laughs out loudly) Naradji, you have seen dance of Apasaras’ of Swarg, the most beautiful, the most precious place of the universe… (Pause) Do you know? Many rishies, sages, do austerities, penances; they suffer to get the comforts which I have, to get the life I have and to enjoy their best time with Apsaras, the dance you have seen. (Eyes full with pride) now you tell me what is missing?? Apsaras are not able to enchant you!!?
Narad: (Still smiling) Indradev, of course your Apsaras are beautiful but cannot succeed to charm me, not even wearing precious cloths and jewelries. I am not impressed than… a natural beauty.
Indra: (seriously) What are you talking about? Aren’t they beautiful?!
Narad: your Apsaras are… but not the most. They are precious but not for all. Have you not heard about Ahalya! The natural beauty…
Indra: Ahalya? The daughter of Brahma, are you talking about?!
Narad: Yes.
Indra: I heard, but never took the talk seriously.
Narad: Oh, but the talk is true. Ahalya is the most beautiful woman of the universe… at the earth. Well, Ahalya, who Swarg, your beautiful and precious place, doesn’t have. Look… there she is…
[Narad points a sight, scene emerges before their eyes, where Ahalya is plucking flowers and playing with water. Indra watches constantly.]
Narad: Well, you said well. Many sages, many people suffered hardship to gain your place, to have your gorgeous Apsaras. But one person doesn’t have to do all this. Rishi Gautam has the most beautiful woman Ahalya, as a wife. (Smiles)
Indra: (silently, still busy watching the scene) So, charming, she enchanted me… I cannot blink my eyes. (Becomes conscious with Narad’s last spoken words) Er… you are right, but don’t you think, it’s not right, A beautiful young Ahalya, living on earth as a wife of a sage! (Pause) (Silently) she should be at Swarg.
Narad: (laughing) now you got it? What are you missing…! (Going away slowly with a smile)
Indra: (looking somewhere without noticing Narad’s exit, but hears his laughter) (silently) I have not the most beautiful woman! The Swarg … which everyone desires, the Swarg doesn’t have the most beautiful woman at all! (pause) The wife of a sage…so beautiful! Still not a t Swarg! Not with me! (loudly) I, the admirer of beauty, I, the king of the Swarg, don’t have the most beautiful Ahalya…!! The old sage… the old Rishi has the most beautiful, young woman!!... (confused, worried) something is missing… Apsaras… still not… missing… Ahalya…I, God have not… man has. I have not… I… I will have (glimpses in eyes and cynical smile on his face) yes, I will have… nothing will be missed, no one will laugh … I will have…

Act: 3

[Early morning, Ahalya is sleeping in her hut.]
Ahalya: (Waking up suddenly, anxious) Oh my God… thank God… its dream only, what a worst dream it was! … My lord… suffering…with a pain…unbearable pain… (Consciously) is it bad omen?! (Looks around, loudly) where are you my lord? (No answer) isn’t it too early! For a bath! No, he must be on time, I may be late. Yes, I must be late because of stupid dreams. (Stands up and goes near window, watches outside as if mapping something.)
[Behind the tree near hut, two eyes are starring the window carefully. He is Indra.]
Indra: Hmm. It’s the best time. Everything is according to my plan (Sees Ahalya, leaving window and going inside.) I should be quick… before (comes out from the tree.) …but wait a minute… (Transforms himself to Rishi Gautama, Smiles) now… It’s perfect. (Goes in the hut with a speed. He smashes Ahalya’s Rangoli by his Saul at the entrance of the hut.)  
[Inside the hut, Indra stares Ahalya, combing her hair with fingers without noticing him.]
Indra: (Silently) Beau…tiful… what a beautiful…
Ahalya: (Becoming aware, her fingers stop)
Indra: (Consciously) Er… A
Ahalya: (Turning back) Is it you my lord? Are you… are you back so early?! (Starts braiding her hair)
Indra: (In low voice) Let it be… as…
Ahalya: (Goes near) Hmm?  Are you ok? Feeling well? 
Indra: (Silently) I must behave like a sage, otherwise she starts doubting. I must act properly. (Loudly) I… I am alright. A… Ahalya… what I was thinking… (Pause, turns back to avoid Ahalya’s eyes) yes, I feels guilt… you know?
Ahalya: Why? What makes you feel so?
Indra: I always remain busy in my ascetic life, busy with my meditations… I feel… I ignored to admire beauty… I have forgotten you.
Ahalya: (Worriedly) what? I don’t understand. What are you saying my lord? What happened to you?! Don’t you want to follow your routine today? Forgot me? What makes you think like this? Did I ever complain? I am perfectly alright… (Softly) stop thinking like this. Don’t you want to go for meditation? (Starts to go away)
Indra: (Stops her with holding her hand) That’s what I am doing. (Ahalya stops and looks back) let me meditate… (Starring her) let me admire you. Let me worship beauty today.
Ahalya: (Feels unusual) Have you forgotten what you said?
Indra: About what?
Ahalya: Oh my lord, you said, you are feeling proud for ascetic life, the power you have earned with it and me!
Indra: (Confuses) Er… hmm… yes, I… I am proud of it… and you… I am feeling proud that’s why I want to worship you… your services, your devotion (goes near her) your… your beauty. (Gazes her, tries to hug)
Ahalya: (smiles, looks down with shyness) My lord… (Slow noise of footstep) (Suddenly, she becomes conscious) The footsteps… the footsteps… (Noise becomes loder and louder) (she goes away from Indra, speaks seriously) unbelievable… how can I? I know… it’s my lord’s footsteps… (Indra becomes conscious, looking here and there worriedly, he cannot bare Ahalya’s constant stare.)
Ahalya: (Confusedly) what is happening?
Indra: (Silently) I am late. What should I do now? The sage is back… what… I… I must leave, yes I must run… (Starts going outside hurriedly)
[Ahalya is standing alone ambiguously.]

Act: 4

[Rishi Gautama comes near the hut, sees a person looking like him, stops ambiguously.]
Rishi Gautama: (Seriously) Oh my God! What is happening! What he was doing in my hut?!! (Walks fast to catch the person, yells) stop… don’t try to run… otherwise I will curse you… turn this side. (Indra in form of Rishi Gautama turns without facing him.) What’s the matter? Who are you? (Angrily) Why you are in my form? Answer me… otherwise…
[Ahalya comes out from the hut. Rishi Gautama notices her scattered hair, worried eyes.]
Ahalya: (confuses for two similar looking man) Oh my lord…
Rishi Gautama: (In a trembling voice) With whom you are? You infidel witch! (Shuts eyes, his lips are trembling).
Indra: Wait… Rishi Gautama… don’t curse… (Transforms himself to Indra’s appearance) 
Rishi Gautama: You! Lord Indra…!!! It’s you… you try to…
Ahalya: (Worriedly) Oh my God, I can’t believe… but now I get it… (To Rishi Gautama) my lord…he…
Rishi Gautama: Don’t be innocent… you betrayer! How can you raise your eyes to face me? You…
Ahalya: (In a low voice) I… my lord, never aware… what was…
Rishi Gautama: Shut up. Why you have done this? … Why?? (Pause) I should understand it earlier! The same one… young woman’s wishes… you have different desires. If you cannot be a faithful wife of a sage, why you married me?!
Ahalya: Please… please… stop it now, (loudly) I didn’t know… I didn’t know he was lord Indra, not you. What you are thinking is completely wrong… I have not done anything sinful. Trust me… If you feel deceived, if you want to be angry ask Indra why he has done this?! What did force him to do this kind of joke with us?!  (Stares Indra)
Indra: I am begging your forgiveness, holy sage. Please forgive me for my faults. I am feeling ashamed for this reckless act. Actually I was enchanted by Ahalya’s beauty and I… I have… please forgive me for this mistake. I am…
Rishi Gautama:  Lord Indra, it’s not your mistke, it’s a sin, you have committed. Your apology is not enough. (Angrily) you both must be punished… for your infidelity… for your sins…
Ahalya: (Tearful eyes and in a low voice) Don’t you trust your wife? Don’t you believe what I said? What is…what is my crime in Indra’s trap? Why are you considering me equal in his betrayal? Why should I be punished??
Rishi Gautama: (yells) Stop… stop this you… you unfaithful woman! Instead of begging for forgiveness, are you asking questions to your lord?! If you are trustworthy, you would respect my words and never doubt my commands…
Ahalya: (sarcastically) I am unfaithful? Am I?! Don’t I trust you? Have you forgotten all my services suddenly? Don’t I respect your words? (Pause) I trust you, your words, that’s why he has to come in your form. And you are still telling me that…
Rishi Gautama: I said stop this… all vanity…
Indra: O… holy sage! Please It’s my humble request don’t be angry. Forgive me. You are sage… show your kindness, gentleness… please forget and forgive this… look it’s near to dawn. (Pointing up)
Rishi Gautama: Are you serious enough to understand what the crime, you both have committed?! (Angrily) I am betrayed. You do not understand my feelings. You must be punished for your lust (to Ahalya) and your adultery.
Ahalya: (steady low voice) Punished! Punished… for the deed I never did? You… you have betrayed me my lord! Not I!
Rishi Gautama: (trembling) shut your mouth. I am cursing you… infidel woman… you will become stone at dawn. The stone, not be loved by anyone. Your beauty is not praised anymore. And I will not have to see your deceiving face again…
Ahalya: (In slow and steady voice) What are you expecting from me? Should I beg for your forgiveness? This means I have done something sinful! Should I accept your blame and prove myself guilty?! (Laughs) I am accepting your curse Rishi Gautama, without bagging for forgiveness, for mercy…
Rishi Gautama: (Stares her) What makes you pronounce my name?!! You… you vicious woman!
Ahalya: (Sarcastically) The same… the same which makes you not to pronounce my name!
Indra: Rishi Gautama, please be calm, don’t be so cruel, show some mercy.
Rishi Gautama: (Angrily) Mercy is not for mistakes. And for sins there are punishment… you should be also punished. I am cursing… 
Ahalya: What? What will you curse?! What… to a lord! You a man…to a god! Don’t be fool. Actually, you are convincing yourself and me… but your curse cannot punish him. (Raises voice) and… who are you to curse? It’s me who is trapped? I am deceived more than you. (To Indra) what can I curse?! If I curse you… you will transform it with your tricks. I cannot curse your destiny... what I can curse is only your heart, your mind. I am cursing you that even if you have all the comforts you cannot enjoy it. You will always worry of losing it. Losing your throne, your Swarg, for which you are so arrogant…
Rishi Gautama: Cursed… still not calm! I am punishing… I am doing justice…
Ahalya: (angrily) Justice! Justice… oh… do you really…? Is it justice for me? What I got after devotion to my husband! Who says, he feels proud for me, once upon a time… Rishi Gautama, now you have lost both of your prides… (Laughs) you have not cursed me… but yourself. Yes, yourself only. Didn’t get? Stones have no feelings. They cannot feel sadness, love, hate…betrayal and … and pity. But you are human; you have feelings of sorrow, loneliness and re…remorse. (Stares him) I don’t need to curse you for your betrayal to me, you have cursed yourself. You are going to remember my devotion, you will miss my love, my services and my admiration for you… think… holy sage can you live with forgetting all I have done for you??!!! (In a low voice) can you? Think…!!
Rishi Gautama: (With worried face, looks here and there, pause, speaks loudly with hiding his fears) Er… Ah… Ahalya… I am pleased with your duties you performed towards me. I should show mercy on you. Yes, it’s my blessings that after remaining as a stone, you will be librated, and be human again. You will be liberated… with a touch of lord Rama’s feet. It will purify your sins and make you holy again… wait for lord Rama; he will come, wait for a touch of his feet and you will…
Ahalya: (Angrily) Touch… of a feet! Purify me!!!
Rishi Gautama: …Of Lord Rama.
Ahalya: (Trembling with anger) I don’t need any touch of feet… Any touch of a man’s feet either he is human or God. What are you saying? I will become pure? Liberated! I am pure and I don’t need any liberation. What are you blessing? A lord will save me? What a big joke on me! One lord tried to molest me, other man, who is lord for me, has betrayed me, cursed me, and now you are saying, a lord, with his touch of feet, will save me?!!! (Looks up) what a fate I am facing dear father! (In a low voice) why you made me beautiful!?? Or … or a woman? (Pause) (To Rishi Gautama) I don’t need any liberation. It’s you… Rishi Gautama, who needs, who will wait for Lord Rama. He will be your savior. I am denying any touch… (Bending down, transforming into stone, still slow voice is coming from the stone) I am denying to be transformed as your wife again… wait… wait… Rishi… wait…
[The Stone stops sounding, dawn in the sky. Rishi Gautama and Indra are standing silently, listening echoes. Rishi Gautama looks up, Indra still standing looking down shamefully.]


Act: 5

Scene i:

[Midnight, Rishi Gautama is sleeping on his bed, looking pale and aged more than he is.]
Rishi Gautama: (Suddenly opens his eyes) Ahalya… (Exhaustingly) Ahalya… (Pause) once again, can’t shut my eyes. (Wakes up) why this scene is coming before my eyes, that smiling face… and then turning into tearful eyes. I can’t sleep, I can’t forget her. (Standing up) it’s too cold. Where is hot water!? Aha…Oh! When can I forget her? (Looks here and there, becomes serious) I am a sage; I must come out from this feeling… I should do meditations. It will relax me. No, I should do penance… (Walks in the untidy room.) Where is my book? (Finds the book on a writing desk at the corner. Goes near, opens it and starts reading the title, “THE WAYS TO PERFORM REPENTANCE”. Takes an ink and starts writing. Stops after some time, looks up)
When will lord Rama come! I am waiting… I am waiting for…

Scene ii:

[Early dawn, Rishi Gautama is sleeping in his bed without shutting his eyes. Looks at window, goes near it.]
Rishi Gautama: The same, the same beautiful night, Ahalya… I am not sure you pleased me more or this night which memorizes you to me. (Comes out and stands at the entrance of the hut. Silence… Sits on verandah where at his right side big stone is visible.) You where right Ahalya, absolutely right. Stones have not feelings. If they have, you may help me in my pitiful condition without you. If they have feelings you must cry on my agony. So painful, the loneliness… (In a low voice) where… where can I find peace… when?? What else… but wait… just waiting… (Shuts his eyes for some time, unaware of how long he has been in that situation.)
[With a distant view, it seems like Rishi Gautama is mediating near the big stone at verandah. Silence and sun is rising)
Rishi Gautama: (Consciously) What is going on today? Isn’t it different dawn! I am feeling bit relaxed! (Stands up) but what is this noise? (Voice of crowd becomes louder) what is happening there? (Looks at the direction of noise) who are they?
[Crowd comes near Rishi Gautama’s hut. He recognizes leading man, who is looking glorious, impressive as lord Rama.]
Rishi Gautama: (Extremely happy) Rama… my lord… (Goes near, bows to him) my lord, you have no idea… for how long I am waiting for you. This place became sacred with your presence. My lord I am very thankful to you… (Bows again)
Lord Rama: Rishi Gautama, I am also very pleased to see you. I know how all the sages are worthy of respect! But why you are looking so pale? Where are your all the glories?!
Rishi Gautama: All my glories have gone with my anger. All my happiness went away with a smiling face. Oh my lord, what can I hide from you! You know my destiny. You… it’s only you who can save us. You, the almighty, knew everything. Please my lord, release my respectable wife from my words. Transform her from a stone with your touch… (Points stone)
Lord Rama: Be calm, Rishi Gautama. I know, I have heard your story from many people. Yes, that’s the destiny. I am here in search of my wife and you… in search of your. I will be happy to help you. (Goes near the stone)
Rishi Gautama: My lord… wait… wait for a moment. Though I have cursed that touch of your feet will transform her back. But I request, she will never accept a touch of a feet… I can remember her last words… I insist… I must do something else.
Lord Rama: don’t worry holy sage. I will not disobey her wishes. (Sits in front of the stone, joins his hands) Devi Ahalya… O holy woman, I am requesting you to transform again yourself to human as before.
[slowly, stone converts into figure of woman. Ahalya, with complete detachment and steady emotions, emerges in front of starring people.]
Ahalya: (To Lord Rama, with steady facial expression) Thank you my lord for a respect you showed towards me.
Rishi Gautama: (Happily, goes near Ahalya, to Lord Rama) Thank you once again for your kindness. I wish you good luck in your search. You have released me from my pain and suffering. I cannot change destiny. But I am blessing you that you will receive strength, tolerance and patience when you will meet with situation like mine. My lord I am pleased today.
Lord Rama: (Smiles) It’s all right, holy sage, thank you for your blessings. I am also pleased to see you both happy… as before.
Ahalya: I am sorry my lord, but I cannot carry on living as before…
Rishi Gautama: (Seriously) What are you saying?! I didn’t get.
Ahalya: The moment, when you forgot me as your wife, no longer I remain your wife. Perhaps you can live as before with forgetting the night. But it’s not possible for me to forget… to live again as before, to trust you as I used to trust. I am sorry my lord, but my life is changed. What I can do for you holy sage… I am blessing you that you can live your ascetic life peacefully without pain, and with forgetting that night and me.
Rishi Gautama: (Confusingly) No… don’t behave like this…then… what is the difference in the situation the day before and today??!
Ahalya: difference! It differs, now you can forgive yourself, you can live your life with solitude, not loneliness. Now I will not bother you in your meditations, inspirations and… and in your dreams. (Smiles) now you are free from all bounds and… I also. (Turns opposite, speaks in a low voice, Rishi Gautama and Lord Rama are watching her from backside) I am also not bounded with any burden… any more… (Starts walking)
Rishi Gautama: But where are you going??!
Ahalya: (Stops for a moment, then starts walking again) I don’t know. Where I … only I can rule my life. (Speaks slowly) where I can make my destiny… where no man bounds me… free me… where I… (Walks away slowly)
Rishi Gautama: (Walks some steps) Wait… Ahalya… wait… (Stops)
[His hand in the air, on the direction of Ahalya, Lord Rama stands near hut, some steps far from Rishi Gautama, who is still looking at Ahalya’s direction with wide eyes and open mouth… silence…]


[Curtain falls]







No comments:

Post a Comment